I Timothy 3:1-7 (KJV)
- This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
- A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
- Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
- One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
- (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
- Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
- Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.